Sunday, July 13, 2014

All or Nothing

For as long as I can remember, I have been trying to lose weight.  As a senior in high school I went to the gym before and after school, and I packed my lunch instead of buying school lunch. The pressure of prom dress shopping was my first source of motivation. This means for at least 12 years I have tried (unsuccessfully) to lose weight. 
 
For all 12 years I have had an "all or nothing" mentality.  I would plan out meals and exercise, and if I followed my plan to a T it would stick.  But the slightest deviation from my plan meant it was over, and the effect would snowball.  For example, if I woke up too late and was unable to prepare my planned breakfast I would head to the drive through.  I would have the mentality that the whole day was ruined, and so I would order whatever I wanted.  That would lead to blowing off my planned lunch for another blow out meal and whatever snacks I wanted throughout the day.  Then, I would figure since my diet was ruined I might as well not work out that day.  Often times this would lead to many similar days in a row with the though that "I'd start over Monday."
 
I realized that this was not in line with my goals and I've been trying to figure out how to overcome my all or nothing mentality.  And then I found Roni's #wycwyc. This concept was exactly when I needed.  Now when things don't go according to plan, I still manage to do what I can when I can.  If I find myself with no choice but to hit a drive through I look up nutrition info while I wait and make the best possible choice.  If I'm running behind to a scheduled workout I go anyway.  Missing the first 5 minutes is better than missing a whole class! 
 
The #wycwyc philosophy has kept me on track to a healthier lifestyle MUCH better than my all or nothing mentality. 

No comments:

Post a Comment